Monday, July 29, 2013

Six years


I joined Facebook on 29 July 2007 about three and a half years after it was founded.

When I joined Facebook very few family and friends used the service and now most of my immediate family members use Facebook regularly and many friends and acquaintances do too. Only one of my very good friends is a Facebook objector - that's not bad for my circle of over 60ish friends. Over the past six years I have had a love hate relationship with Facebook.

I love that it enables me to have a (online) relationship with younger family members and to keep in contact with former colleagues and schoolmates. I love that I can easily share family news and pictures on Facebook.  I hate the way that Facebook keeps messing with its settings so that I am never sure if I my privacy is being maintained.

It annoys me that so many of my genealogy contacts use Facebook as their preferred social media channel while I prefer Google+ for this role. I still have a few hundred genealogy contacts on  Facebook.

Facebook is now so much a part of my life that I don't think I'll be giving it up in the forseeable future.

How long have you been a member of the Facebook Community?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...